One of the most remarkable reports on 9/11 came from Jane Stanley, who according to the BBC was in New York at the time of the attacks.
The controversy with this report is that it came twenty minutes early………………………
The trouble with this report for me personally……. and generally very worrying is that Jane clearly refers to the two towers that have already collapsed…….. and up to this point I could find no news channel that made a reference to Building 7 before its collapse.
Another piece some hours later also adds to the worry of these BBC reports.
BBC's Jane Standley - Audio cuts-out when asked about WTC7
Another ‘mistake’ from the BBC?
The BBC eventually commented on this years later……Did you get that ???? 6 years later!
The 9/11 conspiracy theories are pretty well known by now. The BBC addressed them earlier this month with a documentary, The Conspiracy Files, shown within the UK.
Until now, I don’t think we’ve been accused of being part of the conspiracy. But now some websites are using news footage from BBC World on September 11th 2001 to suggest we were actively participating in some sort of attempt to manipulate the audience. As a result, we’re now getting lots of emails asking us to clarify our position. So here goes:
1. We’re not part of a conspiracy. Nobody told us what to say or do on September 11th. We didn’t get told in advance that buildings were going to fall down. We didn’t receive press releases or scripts in advance of events happening.
2. In the chaos and confusion of the day, I’m quite sure we said things which turned out to be untrue or inaccurate – but at the time were based on the best information we had. We did what we always did – sourced our reports, used qualifying words like “apparently” or “it’s reported” or “we’re hearing” and constantly tried to check and double check the information we were receiving.
3. Our reporter Jane Standley was in New York on the day of the attacks, and like everyone who was there, has the events seared on her mind. I’ve spoken to her today and unsurprisingly, she doesn’t remember minute-by-minute what she said or did – like everybody else that day she was trying to make sense of what she was seeing; what she was being told; and what was being told to her by colleagues in London who were monitoring feeds and wires services.
4. We no longer have the original tapes of our 9/11 coverage (for reasons of cock-up, not conspiracy). So if someone has got a recording of our output, I’d love to get hold of it. We do have the tapes for our sister channel News 24, but they don’t help clear up the issue one way or another.
5. If we reported the building had collapsed before it had done so, it would have been an error – no more than that. As one of the comments on You Tube says today “so the guy in the studio didn’t quite know what was going on? Woah, that totally proves conspiracy… “
Does it seem logical to you that the great BBC would no longer have tapes of their reports of probably the biggest attack on US soil in history?
Media contact page here
But the more I think about this the more I am resigned to believe she was another reporter that did not do her homework. Why? Because there is no possible useful reason for anyone to bring further people into what must have been a huge plot anyway!